- Good Jackpot for low variance game
- Multiple bonus rounds
- Dated graphics
- Majority of wins are small
Features of Game Name
- Slot Type: Video Pokie/ Branded Slot
- Features: Scatters, Wilds, Free Spins, Pick Bonus
- Progressive Jackpot – No
- Jackpot Slot – No
- Theme: Adventure
- Provider: Microgaming
- Release date: 29/10/2004
- RTP: 96.56%
- Volatility: Low
- Paylines: 15
- Reels: 5
- Rows: 3
- Min/Max bet: $0.15 - $150
- Max Win: 1500x total stake ($ 225 000)
Themes and Audio-Visual Design
Lara Croft is a highly energetic Tomb Raider who uses the reels to her advantage as she seeks out ancient relics and riches in the deepest, darkest caverns. In this game, the reels are nestled before the mouth of a cave, each symbol sitting with potential to match up combinations that unlock winning ways.
The base reel rolls sound a little like boulders moving in the cave. These effects are accompanied by tribal tunes playing out when wins are made. When you finally trigger the free spins, music accompanies the entire game, drumming up excitement and expectation of wins as it goes.
While some of the lower-paying game icons are quite generic and familiar in the pokie world, Microgaming has done a good job of nailing this theme with the higher-paying symbols, which are designed to bolster the storyline perfectly. The symbols line up for a variety of wins on the paylines:
- Game Logo Wild: This symbol will substitute for all standard icons in the game to help complete winning combinations. In the base game, you can muster wins of up to 7,500x your line stake or $75,000.
- Lara Croft: Lara is the game’s scatter symbol, which pays up to 400x your total bet or $60,000. She is instrumental in triggering the free spins.
- Mechanical Puzzle: Pays up to 500x line stake with max wins of $5,000
- Lara on her Haunches: Pays up to 500x line stake with max wins of $5,000
- Tiger: Pays up to 250x line stake with max wins of $2,500
- A: Pays up to 125x line stake with max wins of $1,250
- K: Pays up to 100x line stake with max wins of $1,000
- Q: Pays up to 100x line stake with max wins of $1,000
- J: Pays up to 75x line stake with max wins of $750
- 10: Pays up to 75x line stake with max wins of $750
All pays are landed when 3 or more symbols fall on a payline from left to right. The amount shown in the paytable is a multiple of your line wager.
Tomb Raider by Microgaming is played over a 5x3 reel set with 15 fixed paylines. Each game round will cost you a wager of between $0.15 and $150 and could win you up to $75,000 in the base game and $225,000 in the bonus round.
The math model of the game combines a decent RTP of 96.56% with a low variance setting. Low volatility games usually pay out quite frequently, but the payouts are normally on the small side. You will have to wait for the bonus rounds to muster up any noteworthy wins.
When raiding tombs, Lara never knows what hurdle or surprise is around the next corner. Likewise, this game will spring surprises on you without any notice. Fortunately, these surprises bring bonus pleasure to your bankroll.
Free Spin Bonus Round
If you manage to land three or more scatter symbols on the reels, you will trigger 10 free spins. Each win made in this round will be tripled in value for rewards of up to 1,500x your total stake or $225,000 in cash.
Pick Bonus Feature
If you land 3, 4, or 5 bonus idol symbols on any payline, you will trigger the Bonus Pick feature. Here, you will be faced with cavern idols. Choose 3, 4, or 5 idols and win instant cash prizes of up to 100x your line stake on each one. The number of picks you can make is determined by how many bonus symbols were used to trigger the feature.
How to play Tomb Raider
The game is quite easy to play:
- First, you will need to place your stake. Click on the coin icon and adjust the slider to suit a total stake that suits you between $0.15 and $150.
- Once the wager is set, you can press the big round button to spin the reels.
- If you need to get as many spins in as you can in a limited time, you can use ‘Turbo Play’ to speed up each roll of the reels. This function is demarcated by the ‘lightning bolt’ symbol.
- If you are set for the long haul, you can opt to let the machine play for you. The Auto Play feature will spin anywhere between 10 to 100 automated spins at your set wager.
Experience Tomb Raider on Mobile
Tomb Raider was originally introduced to the online casino market in Flash format, which was not ideal for mobile play. Fortunately, the game was redone for Microgaming’s Quickfire platform which is HTML5 based. This way the game can be played directly from your mobile browser without the need for added software downloads.
Had you not known the game was flashed based before, you would have sworn that it was a mobile-first game, like many of Microgaming’s new titles are. The layout on both desktop and mobile is the same, with simplified controls that are suited better to the mobile market. The controls are perfectly situated for adequate finger control.
All in all, the smartphone and tablet experience is great! It provides the same action as the desktop game but comes with the added advantage of being mobile, which means you can play from anywhere you choose.