The gambling world plunged into a new Genesis in 1994 with the introduction of online gambling. The internet created the perfect bridge to provide players around the world with first-class gambling entertainment right on their desktop computers and laptops. Little did we know how that one step by Microgaming Casino would set the pace for a tremendous boom in technology in the iGaming industry.
A decade on and the next era in evolution would begin with the introduction of mobile casinos. It seems that is wasn’t just good enough to load up your favourite pokie at home anymore!
Nearly a decade and a half later and we have witnessed how mobile casinos and mobile device play has overtaken the craze of traditional desktop casinos and online casino sites. It now ranks as the most-played form of digital gambling on the planet.
The Mobile Casino Definition
Mobile casinos are websites and applications that allow gamblers access to their services and games from their mobile phones, tablets, or smartwatches. The ethos behind the mobile market is displayed in the very word ‘mobile’. Mobile casinos are expressly designed so that players can take casino entertainment everywhere they go.
With life is such a rush nowadays, the market was begging for the option of being able to play ’on the go’. Thanks to mobile casinos, players can hook their device up to the internet and play from a bank queue, on their lunch break, while sipping refreshments at a coffee shop, and just about anywhere else where there is a strong connection.
The Evolution of Mobile Casinos
The Beginning of Something
There was a time when people only imagined a physical installation when they heard the term ‘casino’. As the internet progressed in the 1990s, it was time to shift the casino phenomenon online.
But who would do that? The two most renowned names in the casino industry now, NetEnt and Microgaming are responsible for the development of online casino software in the early days. The first full-fledged online casino was launched in 1996.
Journey Towards Mobile
By the time it was the year 2000, access to a casino only from a computer was too mainstream. With the new century ahead, people were becoming busier and had less time for entertainment. The concept of smartmobile phones was still far far away.
Mobile Casinos Now
Since then, mobile casinos have only developed. With the introduction of smartphones, a new dimension of mobile casino games was unlocked. Software providers have worked tirelessly to come up with ideas about how to make mobile gaming better.
Now, almost every online casino you encounter will offer mobile compatibility. It can be via an app or the web browser, but the experience is guaranteed to be seamless. You might not get the full array of games similar to a desktop, but the numbers are increasing day by day. All thanks to the early developers who made it possible.
Check out our recommendations for the best mobile casino.
The Pros of Your Pocket Device Casino
There are some definite advantages to playing casino games at a mobile casino. These include:
- Convenience: How much more convenient could casino gaming be? Simply slip your phone out of your pocket or your tablet from your backpack and viola, you will be spinning the reels of your favourite pokie within seconds!
There are also mobile-friendly payment solutions that can be downloaded onto your mobile devices to facilitate quick and easy deposits and withdrawals to and from the casino.
- Game Selection: Many modern game providers offer their games with a mobile-first mentality these days. You will find that even when you play newer games on a desktop, the game format is suited to mobile functionality. You can, therefore, play all the latest games at your mobile casino. Even most of the older classic titles have been reworked by suppliers for the mobile segment.
- Safety: Most mobile devices come with inbuilt security mechanisms to combat viruses and malicious malware. Thankfully, mobile devices are far less susceptible to these sorts of bugs anyway.
Mobile sites are protected by SSL encryption to ensure that all your data is safe and secure, while all the mobile-friendly payment options are secured with the industry's best encryption as well.
- One Account: Most new casinos that support both desktop and mobile play will allow you to sign in to the site with multiple devices connected to a solitary account. This means you can play from your desktop at home or from your mobile. You will have access to the same bankroll, bonuses, and more.
Here are a few factors you should take into consideration when deciding whether or not to play from your mobile device.
- Hardware: Modern phones and tablets are extremely powerful little devices. Some later models have similar processing abilities to some of the more basic computers out there and boast high definition display. This means that they can handle the high-quality graphics and sounds that are coded into premium games.
The two most popular device platforms in the mobile industry are iOS for iPhones and iPads, and Android for most other phone brands, including Samsung, LG, Nokia, and more. While punters will highlight the advantages and disadvantages of either platform, the later versions of these devices are all adequately suitable for playing mobile casino games.
- Connection Speeds: The advancements in internet connectivity play a major role when playing at mobile casinos. These days, phones connect to the home or office Wi-Fi network for super download speeds. Even mobile data speeds have gotten better since 2004. The 3G, 4G, and LTE speeds ensure that you can play games that are far more data-heavy than those developed even a decade ago.
- Software: Some casinos provide special downloadable apps for their sites. The software streamlines the gameplay to suit phones more, especially those that are not as highly specced. In the same way you access your banking or social media apps, you can access the casino directly with minimal fuss.
These casino software downloads are usually available directly from the casino site for Android, Apple (iOS), and Windows devices. You won’t find them readily in the App iStore or Google Play Store.
- Instant Play: The latest technology to meet the mobile casino industry is HTML5 Browser tech. This innovation allows games to be developed with much ‘lighter’ programming needs, without compromising on the quality of the game in any way whatsoever. Because of this, you can play at most modern mobile casinos directly from your mobile browser. This technology is in the process of making casino apps obsolete.
Thanks to HTML5, casino owners are now able to create websites that work interchangeably for all platforms. There is barely any distinction these days between a mobile and desktop site among the new casinos.
Android Casino Apps
The popularity of online casino has been continuing to boom for around two decades, but now there’s an even bigger phenomenon taking us by storm: mobile casino! And who else would be at the forefront of app development than Android, the world’s most popular operating system. Casinos are now desperately searching for experienced developers to help them craft the perfect casino app for their customers. It’s true that plenty of websites are being designed (or redesigned) using HTML5 for mobile optimisation, but there’s something about gambling on an Android-specific app which surpasses that experience. First-rate apps are now appearing for entire casinos, as well as for specific games like blackjack, pokies and progressive jackpots. If you’re an Android user, you’re in luck: we’ve compiled a list of our recommended Android casino apps at which you’re guaranteed a fantastic playing experience.
How We Review Apps
There’s no single recipe for the perfect Android casino app; however, there are definite features and functions which must be addressed. At CasinoKiwi, the first thing we always do when reviewing apps is actually download them. We couldn’t possibly give a proper review or rating of an app without trying, testing and exploring the app first-hand. Simplicity is another thing: how easy is the app to find, download and install? Now that real-money casino apps are available through the Google Play store (aka the Android app store) they are easier to find than ever. Games must be well-optimised visually, with high quality audio and - preferably - all the functionality available on the desktop version. If it’s a casino app (rather than a specific game), then the pokies and table games selection should be quite varied. Basically we look at everything, including a few less tangible features like the complexity of the UI and how the app feels, and use all of that information to form a robust, unbiased review.
Free Casino Apps
To help you keep up with the trends, we maintain a complete list of the latest and greatest Android casino app releases right here on our site. Download and use any these apps by clicking on the links below - you won’t regret it!
Online Casino with Android Apps
As a rule in 2017, the best apps are being developed by longstanding and successful casinos who already have a high-performing desktop site and a strong player base. This makes sense, since they can dedicate resources to a new project without hampering their income elsewhere. For the best, established online casinos with Android apps, check out our recommended casinos below!
All About Android Apps
As we’ve already said, the most reliable way to choose an Android casino app is to follow our recommendations in the previous tables. However, if you want some standards against which to measure other casinos, think about the following.
This is one of the coolest aspects of gambling on a dedicated mobile app: unique, exclusive bonus offers! Particularly when it comes to pokies, casinos are just desperate to offload free spins, bonus cash and other extras as soon as you sign up. Any casino which offers a generous app-specific bonus is worth considering!
Apps vs Mobile Sites
This is the real debate at the minute: do apps give you a better playing experience than mobile-optimised websites? Since developers are creating games for use with a specific operating system, they should be able to make the absolute most out of the device’s specs. However, if we’re talking apps for specific games, unless you only have 1-2 you ever play, a centralised casino lobby might be more valuable. This is all personal opinion!
How to Download Apps
Real-money casino apps have just recently been given the green light by Google and are now available to download in their apps store! Choices will be limited right now, but over the next few months you can expect dozens of casinos to worm their way through. From the Play Store, you simply hit “download” and then “install” and that’s it, job’s a good’un. Alternatively, serious casinos will have a section of their website dedicated to the mobile app. You should be able to just click the little “Android” icon or enter your phone number and get the download started.
Are Android Apps Legal?
The only potential “legality” issue around Android apps was when Google refused to allow them through their app store. Even then, that was just a moral choice from Google - the apps are completely legal and above-board. In order to avoid rogue apps by phishers or scammers (though these are not common), it’s best to stick to our recommended options or other verified casinos. If you can do that, then you’ll never have an ounce of trouble!
Apple and their iOS Casinos led the way for a number of years, but Android has now well-and-truly caught them up. They are a major player in the smart devices world, and casinos should be racing to get their own apps designed, implemented and polished as soon as possible. If you’re on Android and enjoy gambling, it’s time you got involved.
New Casinos Online
Get Gaming in 1, 2, 3
Getting started at a mobile casino is a simple process that can be completed within only a few minutes. While certain casinos may differ slightly, the sign-up process is usually similar. Once you have found your CasinoKiwi supported mobile casino you can log in with your account details if you have a desktop account with them already. If not, you will have to:
- Register an Account: You cannot play at a casino without registering a profile. This is an easy process that will require you to provide a unique username and password. Once this is done, you will need to supply personal information, select your currency of choice, and language.
- Payment Option and Deposit: Once your registration is done, you will need to place your first deposit in order to play. Before you can do this, you will need to select a mobile payment solution of choice to carry out the transfer.
- Start Playing: Once the deposit is made, you can select the game you want to play and be on your way to your next jackpot in a jiffy.
Step into the 21 Century in style and play your casino games without restriction at a top CasinoKiwi mobile casino! All supported operators are fully licensed and regulated to provide legal and trustworthy gambling services to all or customers.